Please read the “Something’s Rotten In Hondo” case (attached)…
Directional Communication (Downward, Upward & Horizontal)-Resendez
READ the Chapters regarding directional communication before you begin this assignment.
You will write THREE separate letters (downward,upward & lateral), using proper formatting for the letters (these are not emails!) Upload ONE file including all three communications into the appropriate box in Dl2. Please remember that Turnitin is enabled for this assignment.
1. Using the HONDO case, you will assume the role of the character of George Mackee for the purpose of writing all three of the letters.
2. Write an UPWARD letter to Bill regarding your decision, keeping in mind how Bill dropped the whole decision into your lap (as stated in the case). You need to remember to remain professional in your dealings with him, and the blame game never gets you anywhere.
3. Write a HORIZONTAL letter to your contemporaries (other managers at other plant locations) to gather information to help you in making your decision(s). In this case, you need to concentrate on gaining their help- they are peers, and you are basically asking for a favor from them, so write your letter accordingly. 4. Write a DOWNWARD letter to your employees regarding the actions, decisions, consequences of your decision and how it affects them personally. This is the most difficult of the three letters, so I am providing a few hints. Do not make the mistake of oversharing if your decision is negative. Recognize that although managers deal with these issues all the time, employees do not. Remember that ANYTHING you write to employees will wind up in the local paper by the next morning. So write it that way.
5. Be thorough in your letters. Include details; be vigilant with spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc. Use Times New Roman, 12 point font, and 1 inch margins.
a. 15% of your grade (3 times the grade points)
b. It is actually three assignments related to the same case
Formatting matters here
a. A real business letter (you can make it up if you don’t have one )
b. Times new roman font
c. 12 point
d. 1 inch margins
e. Inside address (Single Spaced)
Spelling, punctuation, grammar and turnitin are well critical here
Anything above 20 % will have a problem
1. Just because there is only one answer to the case does not mean you should share the same information with all three groups. If you treat it like one writing assignment , you will not do well.
2. Assume that anything you share with employees will end up in the local newspaper the next day, and online within hours. Think about what that means to the company.
3. Your relationship is different with all three of these groups. Make sure your three letters reflect those differences.
4. Whatever you decide, there will be an impact to the employees that report to you. And that letter is the most difficult to write. Be sure you tell them everything they need to know, but not more that that.
Steps to complete the assignment
1. Read the case very carefully. Make a decision about what you plan to do. Recognize the case involves an ethical dilenmma, no matter what decision you make.
2. You cannot make someone else decide, form a committee to decide, pass the decision elsewhere, or resign the job.
3. Draft three separate letters to your three separate audiences, remembering the conceps we covered in detail this sem. Among these analyzing your audience, deciding on direct or indirect approaches, deciding information to share with each, respect for time etc. etc.
4. Complete and combine all three letters into one document to turn it in.