Week 5: Assignment – Critical Appraisal Of Jean Watson’s Theory Of Human Caring
Points: 100 | Due Date: Week 5, Day 7 | CLO: 6 | Grade Category: Assignments
Jean Watson’s Theory of Human Caring is a conceptual thread in the USU College of Nursing’s curriculum framework. The purpose of this assignment is to offer students the opportunity to be exposed to Human Caring Science while providing students with the skills of critical appraisal of evidence.
- Students will select one nursing research article that focuses on a study that used Jean Watson’s Theory of Human Caring as a theoretical framework.
- Students should use as a guide, an appropriate Rapid Critical Appraisal Checklist found in Melnyk & Fineout-Overholt (2019; pp. 708-722).
- The critiques are to be informal, although correct grammar, spelling, etc., are expected. The critique should include a brief description of the study that was reviewed and should address elements of the study relevant to critique.
- Students will provide a written critique on a critical appraisal of the elements relevant to the nature of the research study such as type of study, design, quality of the study; and rationale, as well as implications for practice and further research and/or evaluation.
The grade will be based on accuracy, level of content and structure of the document.
Examples of research articles incorporating Jean Watson’s theory in USU online library:
Durgun Ozan, Y., & Okumus, H. (2017). Effects of nursing care based on
Watson’s theory of human caring on anxiety, distress, and coping when
infertility treatment fails: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Caring
Sciences, 6(2), 95-109.
Rossillao, K. (2018). Caritas education: Theory to practice…2018
National Teaching Institute research abstracts presented at the AACN
National Teaching Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, May 21-24, 2018.
American Journal of Critical Care, 27(3), e 14 – e15.
- Due: Monday, 11:59 pm PT
- Length: 4-5 pages (including title and reference pages)
- Format: Formal paper in APA 6th ed format
- Citations: If used (not required) cite references according to APA 7th ed.
- File name: Save the file with Student First Name_Last Name_Appraisal