Each year, 1.5 million Americans are diagnosed with diabetes (American Diabetes Association, 2019). If left untreated, diabetic patients are at risk for several alterations, including heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, neuropathy, and blindness. There are various methods for treating diabetes, many of which include some form of drug therapy. The type of diabetes as well as the patients behavior factors will impact treatment recommendations.
For this Discussion, you compare types of diabetes, including drug treatments for type 1, type 2, gestational, and juvenile diabetes.
Reference: American Diabetes Association. (2019). Statistics about diabetes. Retrieved from http://diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/statistics/
· Review the Resources for this module and reflect on differences between types of diabetes, including type 1, type 2, gestational, and juvenile diabetes.
· Select one type of diabetes to focus on for this Discussion.
· Consider one type of drug used to treat the type of diabetes you selected, including proper preparation and administration of this drug. Then, reflect on dietary considerations related to treatment.
· Think about the short-term and long-term impact of the diabetes you selected on patients, including effects of drug treatments.
· Post a brief explanation of the differences between the types of diabetes, including type 1, type 2, gestational, and juvenile diabetes. Describe one type of drug used to treat the type of diabetes you selected, including proper preparation and administration of this drug. Be sure to include dietary considerations related to treatment. Then, explain the short-term and long-term impact of this type of diabetes on patients. including effects of drug treatments. Be specific and provide examples.
Resources for references Need 3+ reference
Rosenthal, L. D., & Burchum, J. R. (2018). Lehnes pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice providers. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
· Chapter 46, Drugs for Diabetes Mellitus (pp. 485509)
· Chapter 47, Drugs for Thyroid Disorders (pp. 511520)
American Diabetes Association. (2018). Pharmacologic approaches to glycemic treatment: Standards of medical care in diabetes2018. Diabetes Care, 41(Supplement 1), S73S85. Retrieved from http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/41/supplement_1/s73.full-text.pdf
This article provides guidance on pharmacologic approaches to glycemic treatment as it pertains to treating patients with diabetes. Reflect on the content of this article as you continue to examine potential drug treatments for patients with diabetes.
100% Original paper Customized to your instructions!